Thursday, March 2, 2017

Response to ASG Survey - March 2, 2017

I received an email today with a survey for the American Sewing Guild (ASG).  It was only two questions, so I took the time to answer it.  The first question was “Why did you join the ASG”? That was easy!  When I was in Oregon years ago attending a Margaret Islander class, I discovered the other eleven women in the class were all ASG members.  I knew nothing about ASG, but I knew if these 11 women from all over the United States who loved to sew were members and I was not, then I must be missing something!  As soon as I returned home, I looked for the Lansing Chapter ASG.  I attended a meeting and joined right away.  Indeed I was missing something.  I was missing opportunities to learn more about sewing, to make new friends, and to share my love of sewing!
The second question was more difficult to answer.  It was “What would make your membership more meaningful?”  I enjoy my ASG membership and I wondered just what would make it more meaningful.  I suggested maybe ASG sponsor some regional classes.  The classes might even cause people to join in order to take the classes.   I also mentioned when our ASG chapter sponsors classes it is usually the same group of members that attend.  I believe others may be interested in the classes but either don’t have the discretionary funds available to spend for classes or simply don’t believe sewing classes are worth the monetary investment required.  After I hit the “send” button, I immediately had regrets.  I don’t think that answer was entirely fair to ASG.  After all, their website is loaded with all kinds of free information, videos, and resources for our members.  I know that some people learn easier in a classroom setting instead of searching for information on a computer.  In fact, some of our members don’t even own a computer or know how to use one.  However, I have a computer and know how to use it, but I have not taken advantage of all the information provided on the ASG website.  I decided today I am going to try to make a change for myself.  I am going to make a habit of going to the ASG website at least once a week and take advantage of the opportunities available there.   Maybe I can share some of the information on this blog or at least encourage ASG members to take full advantage of their membership by exploring this website.

Are you an ASG member?  If not, maybe this is the time for you to explore all the benefits of an ASG membership.  You can do that by visiting ASG.org.  If you live in the Lansing, MI area, you are invited to attend one of the Lansing Clippers meetings.  Our meetings are held the third Monday of the month from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at the St. David’s Episcopal Church at 1519 Elmwood, Lansing, Michigan.   If you want more information about the Lansing chapter, please visit the website lansingclippers.com.

I hope all of you are busy sewing something to add to your spring and summer wardrobes!

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment