Thursday, June 21, 2018



Another Top Finished for My 12-Piece Wardrobe

I just finished a t-shirt top for my summer 12-piece wardrobe.  I used McCall’s pattern M6964 to make a short sleeve version with a rounded neckline.

I wanted the top to coordinate with my navy pants, wine pants, beige capris, and navy skirt.  I found a printed knit fabric in my stash that had colors that would work with all the bottom pieces.   I also had a piece of wine colored knit fabric.  Neither piece was large enough to make the top, so I decided to make a yoke and sleeves from the wine fabric and make the rest of the shirt from the print fabric. 
 
I took the front and back pattern pieces and drew a line on both where I wanted the yoke to end.  Then I used pattern paper to trace pieces for the front and back yokes and also for the lower front and lower back.  I added 5/8 inch for seam allowance to the bottom of both front and back yokes and to the top edge of the lower front and lower back pieces.  After I sewed the front yoke to the lower front and the back yoke to the lower back, I just followed the pattern directions to complete the shirt. 

A picture of the completed top is show below.



 A simple t-shirt top can be completed in a short length of time if you have a pattern you know will fit.  If you are making one for the first time, try a pattern such as McCall’s M6964 that gives directions on how to fit the pattern.  This particular pattern uses the Palmer Pletsch “Tissue Fitting Method.”  The guide sheet also gives some good tips for sewing with knits.  Make sure you check the back of the pattern envelope to determine what types of fabric are suggested for the garment.  I usually buy an inexpensive piece of fabric or even a remnant when I am using the pattern for the first time.  You can use more expensive fabric after you make any necessary fitting changes to the pattern.  That is also a good time to make changes to the design if you desire. 

If you have not sewn a garment for yourself in a few years, making a t-shirt top is a good way to get started again.  A top like this is easy to make and can be completed quickly.  I hope you will try one!

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment