Friday, August 3, 2018

Navy Print Shirt and Craft Show Items


For the navy print shirt, I decided to use the same computer-generated pattern I used for the scrappy plaid shirt.  I did not like the length of the plaid shirt, so I shortened the pattern by 1 ¼  inch.  This shirt is also made from 100% cotton, but feels different because it is not a pieced fabric like the scrappy plaid and also it is more tightly woven. 

I thought this shirt would be even easier to sew than the previous one because I believed the fabric quality was better.  The collar/collar stand piece went on without a hint of a problem.  However, the sleeves did not go into the armscye on the first try. 

I remembered to try the 3-thread overlock stitch on my Babylock Ovation serger for finishing the seams.  I did not like it on this fabric.  The 4-thread overlock stitch provided more stabilization for the individual seams.  I like the look of the pressed open seam with both sides of the seam serged separately.  The 3-thread overlock stitch would probably have worked if I had serged both sides together and then pressed the seam to one side.  It is a personal preference and I prefer the look of the pressed open 4-thread overlock stitched seam. 

A picture of the navy print blouse is below.


I am not especially good at choosing colors which is probably why I don’t get excited about quilting.  I do quilt, but it is not my favorite thing to do.  I am learning more about colors as I continue to work on this coordinated wardrobe.  At the last American Sewing Guild (ASG) chapter meeting, I discussed a color choice for my next piece of the wardrobe with Mary A.   We were looking at a piece of double sided fabric.  One side was royal blue and the other side was navy.  I was wondering if the royal blue would look okay with the navy pants I made.  Mary told me she read somewhere that all blues look okay together.  Then I remembered something my quilting friends told me.  They said that all greens can be used together.  Maybe I should be a little more adventurous when it comes to choosing colors for my wardrobe.

In addition to working on this wardrobe, I had to take a little time to sew something to contribute to the ASG for the craft show at Country Stitches.  I made a baby blanket and a chef’s outfit for an 18-inch doll.  Pictures of those articles are shown below.  The craft show will be held Thursday, August 9th at Country Stitches from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.   There will be lots of vendors and Country Stitches will be holding a sale to celebrate its 36th year in business! 




I plan to make a green knit top for my 10th piece of this wardrobe.  After that, I just have one other top and one jacket to sew to complete the 12-piece wardrobe.

I hope your sewing projects are going well.

Judy





No comments:

Post a Comment