Saturday, March 2, 2019

 Denim Purse          

I had to put my plans to post about pants fitting on hold temporarily.  Michigan’s winter weather has prevented me from meeting with the model to finish fitting the pants.  I missed yet another Wednesday sewing session due to the inclement weather.  Now due to our schedules, it will be the end of March before we can meet for another fitting session.  Hopefully, the article on pants fitting will be posted sometime in April. 

I am working on an article about sewing pants that I would like to post immediately following the pants fitting article.  I am considering reversing the order and posting about how to sew pants first.  While I am making this decision, I decided to make something I could use for the Lansing Chapter American Sewing Guild’s (ASG) sewing challenge.

The challenge this year is to make something inspired by denim.  That means we can sew a denim article or we can sew something that would normally be made from denim, but use another fabric.  For example, we could use a jean jacket pattern and make the jacket from a fabric other than denim, such as silk or knit.  The possible projects are endless.  We can make articles of clothing, home décor, purses, etc.  and we have until our meeting in October to complete our projects.  I encourage all members of the Lansing Chapter to enter the challenge.  The reason for the challenge is simply to get our members to sew more!  All those who enter will be eligible to win a prize.  There will be drawings for several prizes and the prizes are usually gift certificates or products from sewing retailers in our area. 

I decided to make a purse from denim for my challenge project.  I searched through a large shoe box of purse patterns to find one I liked.  Yes, I have a stash of patterns as well as a stash of fabric.  I found an Indygo Junction pattern by Amy Barickman.  It is no. IJ925, Country Courier Bag.  The bag measures 15” x 14” x 3”.  I suspect this will be a little large for me, but I can always use it as a gift.  Pictures of the bag and pattern envelope are shown below.




I used fusible fleece to interface the purse and the strap.  After I sewed the front and back pieces together, I was not entirely happy with the fusible fleece.  I thought the purse still needed a little more shaping.  I decided to interface the lining with Pellon Craft Fuse to see if that would help the purse hold its shape.  I believe it did help, but if a make another purse with this pattern, I think I will try using a foam stabilizer. 

Notice on the pattern envelope, the first view shows two green buttons on the pocket and flap of the bag.  I added two red buttons shaped like flowers on my bag, but they don't show up very well on the busy print.  I think I will probably remove them.  Sometimes less is more!

Michigan is expecting its second Polar Vortex this winter.  If you are confined to the house due to inclement weather, this would be a good time to turn on your sewing machine and start a new project.  That is, if you don't loose your electricity.  We experienced that last Sunday during a wind and snow storm.  Don't despair!  Spring will be here soon.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment