Sunday, May 3, 2020

Another Week Down

Well, here we are in the middle of the eighth week of the Covid-19 Stay at Home period for those of us in Michigan.  I am still not bored.  I have more than enough things to do to stay busy.  However, certain things are beginning to wear on me.  I am tired of constantly thinking about my health and that of my husband, family, and friends.  I am tired of making sure we have hand sanitizer and masks in the car before going to pickup groceries or prescriptions.  I am tired of ordering groceries on-line and then not being able to get what I ordered.  I know that will only get worse in the coming weeks.  I am growing weary of not being able to worship in church with our church family.  On the other hand, I am thankful that by doing these things we may be able to get to the other side of this pandemic safely.   So, I will keep my eyes on the prize; that being, getting through the spread of the Covid-19 safely and returning to most of the activities I enjoy with my friends and family.  I especially miss being able to sew with my friends! 

Dave’s raspberry plants have left my sewing room.  They now reside in one of our four gardens.  They looked great when Dave first transplanted them, but not so good now.  The cold, wet weather has affected them. 

The ground cherries are still with me.  They are slowing beginning to raise their heads above the potting soil.  I would show you a picture, but they are so miniscule that I don’t think you could see them. 

This past week I worked on making the bag I started last week when I discovered I didn’t have the hardware to complete the Audrey purse by Sallie Tomato.  I called the shop where I purchased the Sallie Tomato pattern and ordered the hardware I needed.  I ordered it Saturday and it was here Monday.  Thank you, Sew Unique Threads in Battle Creek, for the excellent service you provided! 

When I had to postpone work on the Audrey purse, I focused on making a purse with McCall’s pattern M6532.  Although I did not have the exact fabrics and interfacings on hand suggested by the pattern, I had some I thought would work.  While the pattern called for cotton or cotton blends, I used a red, navy, and light beige colored fabric that was close to a denim weight.  The pattern called for two interfacings:  single-sided fusible Pellon Peltex 71 and a light to medium weight fusible fleece.   I used Bosal In-R-Form Plus Unique Double-Sided Fusible Foam Stabilizer and 100% cotton batting which was not fusible. 

Throughout the process, I struggled with the thickness of the layers of fabric I was sewing.  I realize the cause of this might be that I was not using the exact materials required by the pattern.  At one point while I was stitching the thickest part of the bag, my machine, a Pfaff Creative Icon, put a message on the screen that read: “Your machine cannot sew through all layers of your fabric.  Please remove some layers before continuing.”  Obviously, that was impossible.  I was sewing the top of the bag to the main portion of the bag where the pull tabs were located.  I think I counted about 9 layers of various depths including the fabric, the Bosal In-R-Foam and the batting.  At that point I wondered if a mechanical machine might work better.  I set up my Pfaff Passport 2.0.  It sewed right through all layers with no problem.  This just proves you don’t have to buy the most expensive sewing machine to able to sew most items.  I hope I can remember this if I get tempted again.  I may be tempted to buy a good mechanical machine to use just to make bags and winter coats.  I like my Pfaff Passport, but it is a small machine with a narrow sewing bed. 

Another problem I created for myself was with the two interfacings.  Both interfacings required by the pattern were fusible on one side only.  I used Bosal that was fusible on both sides.  This created quite the problem when I tried to iron it on or press a piece after it was fused.  The batting I substituted for the fusible fleece was not fusible on either side, so that created a different problem.  I fused the batting to the fabric by using Mistyfuse.   I managed to make the interfacings work, but both substitutions were time consuming.

I finished the bag this morning.  I think the one thing I learned making it was I don’t want to make another one anytime soon!  I know I said I might see if I could reduce the size of the bag and make a smaller purse; however, that is not in any immediate plans of mine.

A pictures of the bag and pattern envelope are shown below.  The bag measures 18” x 12 1/2” x 6”.

 Keep sewing and stay healthy and safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment