Monday, January 1, 2018

New Year’s Sewing Resolutions    -  
The first day of the year is a good time to make my sewing plans for 2018.  I have been giving some thought to creating another 12-piece coordinated wardrobe similar to the fall and winter one I created in 2016.  This one will be for spring and summer.  I plan to blog about it a little differently than I did with the first wardrobe.  I am not giving myself a deadline for completion because there are other items I want to sew at the same time, so I won’t put the pressure of a deadline on myself.  I will proceed at whatever pace life circumstances allow and post my progress along the way.  At the same time I will also post about other items I sew as well as any sewing events I attend.

The basic pieces for the summer wardrobe will be similar to the first wardrobe.  There will be four bottom pieces which will consist of 3 pants and a skirt.  The top pieces will consist of two jackets and six tops.  That gives me a total of 12 pieces.  I should be able to get at least 64 outfits from these 12 pieces and maybe more if I find the right colors to use.

 Another project I would like to accomplish in 2018 is to review and organize my entire fabric stash.  That will be quite the task!  I have some fabric stored in my sewing room, some in two bedrooms, and some in the basement.  I want to review it to decide what to keep and what to toss or give away.  I would like to organize it so that I can keep current projects and fabric I plan to use in the near future in my sewing room.  The rest will be relegated to plastic bins with labels for the basement.  I hope I can consider fabric in my stash for every project before buying more!

Right now I am working on black pants because I have a need for them.  They are not part of the new 12-piece wardrobe.  When I looked at my pants pattern, I discovered the pieces were getting tattered.  It was time to make another copy of the  ”Eureka! Pants that Fit” pattern that I altered to my size in 2016 when I made my first 12-piece coordinated wardrobe.   This was the first opportunity I have had to use my newly purchased tag board to make a permanent copy of a pattern.  I ordered the tag board from Amazon.com and I will probably never need to reorder.    It is a large roll and is very heavy.  My husband helped me lift it onto my cutting table.   I traced the pants pattern onto the tag board and transferred the markings.  Then I made a hole in the top of the pieces and inserted the pattern hanger.  I can now store the pattern by hanging it in a closet.  This will be much easier than folding thin pattern paper to place in an envelope and then unfolding and trying to iron the wrinkles out when I want to use the pattern again.


My motto for 2018 is “Sew more and sew easier”!  Organizing my fabric stash and putting my frequently used patterns on tag board will make sewing easier and perhaps give me more time for sewing. 

Are you making some sewing resolutions for the New Year?   Do you plan to learn a new sewing technique or perhaps create a coordinated wardrobe?  Are you planning to take a class or attend a sewing event in 2018?  Today is a good day to formulate a sewing plan for 2018!  If you have sewing plans you would like to share, please do so by clicking on the "Comments" section at the bottom of this post.  

Good luck with your sewing plans.
Judy



No comments:

Post a Comment