Friday, January 26, 2018

Developing Plans for 12-Piece Coordinated Wardrobe

I had a difficult time getting started sewing this year.   I posted my plans on January 1st, but after doing that I found all kinds of reasons to procrastinate.  I did cut out two pants, one black and one navy.  The black one is finally completed and the navy one is almost finished.  I still need to sew the waist band and hem the navy one.    

As I indicated in my last post, I intend to make a 12-piece coordinated spring/summer wardrobe.  I thought I would have two or three pieces of that completed by now.  Instead, I am still working on the first piece (navy pant).    I did, however, spend some time sorting through some of my stash to find fabric I can use for the wardrobe.  Today I went shopping to add some fabric to that from my stash.  Below is a picture of the fabrics for the coordinated wardrobe.



I plan to make three pants from the tan, navy and wine fabrics and I will make a skirt also from navy fabric.  The white fabric will be used to make a short sleeve jacket.   A second jacket will probably be sewn from a light blue fabric which I have not yet purchased.  

I plan to use the same pant pattern I have used since I started this blog, Fit for Art pattern, “Eureka! Pants that Fit”.  I purchased this pattern from www.Fitforartpatterns.com.  I like this pattern because it has detailed instructions on fitting.  It takes time to get a pant pattern to fit, but it is worth the time if you continue to use the same pattern to make more pants.  I recently transferred my pattern to tag board and I am so glad I did.  Now I don’t need to fold up my pattern and place it in the original envelope or plastic bag and I don’t need to try to iron out the wrinkles the next time I want to use it.  The pattern now hangs on a hook in a closet until I need it again.

I may use CNT Pattern Company’s “Start after Breakfast Finish before Lunch” pattern for the jacket.  This pattern is sold online and also in most quilt shops.  I purchased mine from Yards of Fabric in Mason, Michigan with the gift certificate I won at the October meeting of the Lansing Chapter American Sewing Guild.    I have not tried to fit the pattern yet.  Whether or not I use the pattern depends on how successful I am at fitting it. 

One of the pants I make will be capri length.  I plan to use Burda pattern 8341 to overlay on my “Eureka! Pants that Fit” pattern to get the shape and length for the legs.  By doing this, I will not have to start from scratch and fit the Burda pattern to me for the waist, hips and crotch depth.  That will save an incredible amount of time.  I already had the Burda pattern, so I did not need to purchase one.  If I did not already have the Burda pattern, I would use a capri pant that I have that fits me and shape the legs of my pant pattern from that.

A picture of these three patterns are shown below.



The print fabrics will be used for the six tops.  All are knit with the exception of the plaid.  That is 100% Cotton.  I may substitute one of the knits for another 100% cotton.  I have a fabric in mind that is a light wine color and is in my stash somewhere.  However, I have not found the right box for that fabric yet.  I will continue to search for it.

I plan to use McCall’s pattern M6964 for some of the short sleeved tops.  I used this pattern when I made my first coordinated wardrobe in 2016, so I know it fits.  I am hoping to use Very Easy Vogue pattern V9128 also.  The use of this pattern depends on whether or not I can get it fitted.  We will see!

One or two of the tops will be made using Kwik Sew pattern K3555.  I have used this pattern before but it still has one fitting issue that I hope to correct.  If I get that done,  the 100% cotton tops will be made from this pattern.

A picture of these three patterns follow.


Well, I believe most of my planning is complete for the 12-piece coordinated wardrobe.  Now I really need to get busy fitting patterns and sewing. 

How is your planning going?  Are you ready to turn on your sewing machine and sew a great spring/summer wardrobe?   Get organized  so you can sew easier and sew more.   Have fun!


Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment