Wednesday, January 4, 2017

December 29, 2016 -  Shower Gift -

It is hard to believe 2016 is almost over.  Our family had lots of good times and one very sad and difficult time.  We lost our daughter, Marcia Huhn Rush, April 10, 2016.  Christmas was not the same and yet we got through it together.  Our daughter, Loretta, and her husband, Larry Smith, came up from Georgia for Christmas.  Marcia's husband, Todd, and our grandchildren, McClane and Dale, also came to our house for Christmas.  There were lots of laughter and a few tears.  We are grateful to God for the peace and comfort He has given us.  I am looking forward to 2017.  McClane will graduate from high school and in the fall she will attend Purdue University.  Dale will begin high school in the fall.  I look forward to a happy and prosperous year for our entire family!

After Christmas I began to think about what to write in this blog now that the "Twelve Piece Coordinated Wardrobe" is finished.  I decided I will just start sewing and writing and see what develops.  I don't have many projects planned for the New Year yet, but I do need a gift for a baby shower.  So, the last couple of days I worked on a baby gift for Elizabeth Ayoub's daughter, Kira Hamilton.  Kira and her husband live n Florida and are expecting a baby soon.  I was surprised when I learned that Kira wanted baby wipes made from flannel.  I have not been close to a new baby in a few years, so I had not heard of making baby wipes from flannel.  This intrigued me, so I turned to the internet to see how to make them.  There was lots of information for me to use to make some.  I washed the flannel and cut thirty-five 7-inch squares.  I cut 12 from white flannel, 11 from a monkey print flannel, and 12 from a cartoon print flannel.  Then I serged around the edges, wove the tails into the stitching and the baby wipes were done!  I also made a gift bag from owl print cotton and folded each baby wipe in half, stacked them, and put them in the bag.  They were ready now for Kira to use.

Just before Christmas I asked Joyce Savage to show me how to make crib sheets and baby bibs.  I know Joyce is an expert at making these items.  I have watched her make lots of them while sewing with her at Stoney Bretz's house.  She makes them for her relatives and also sells them at craft shows.  I followed her directions and cut each piece of 100 percent cotton fabric 68 inches long and then cut an 8-inch square from each corner.  Next I placed the cut edges of the corner right sides together and sewed them together to form an angle.  After sewing all four corners in this manner, I finished the seam using my serger.  You can use the zig-zag stitch of a sewing machine instead.  I cut four 12-inch pieces of 3/8 inch elastic and stretched a piece around each newly formed corner of the sheet as I turned and hemmed the edge.  At first I found it quite awkward to stretch the elastic and turn the edge of the sheet while I was sewing the hem, but I did get used to doing it and it got easier.  You can search the internet for "how to sew crib sheets" and find several different directions for making them.

I also made bibs using Joyce's instructions.  I cut out 5 small bibs and 2 large bibs.  I used print 100 percent cotton fabric for the bib fronts and solid color flannel for the backs.  I placed a thin layer of batting between the fronts and backs to prevent anything from leaking through.  I placed the front and back right sides together and the layer of batting behind the wrong side of either one.  Then I sewed around the edge using a narrow seam width (about 1/4 inch) leaving a small opening (about 2 inches) at the bottom of the bib.  I trimmed the seam a little and then turned to the right side using the opening at the bottom.  I pressed the bibs and then sewed the opening shut with hand stitches.  Then I top stitched around the edge of the bibs.  My gift was finished in time for the baby shower.  I really enjoyed making these items because the fabric was so cute.  There are so many options for baby fabrics!  Pictures of the gift are shown below.






Happy New Year!  I hope 2017 will be a great year for you and your family.https.chickenlittlesews.com/blog.htmlwww.chickenlittlesews.com/blog.htmlhttp://www.chickenlittlesews.com/blog.htmlhttps://websitebuilder.godaddy.com/builder/edit/desktop/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000010738875https://websitebuilder.godaddy.com/builder/edit/desktop/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000010738875https://websitebuilder.godaddy.com/builder/edit/desktop/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000010738875https://websitebuilder.godaddy.com/builder/edit/desktop/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000010738875

No comments:

Post a Comment