Friday, September 8, 2017

Twisted Infinity Scarf for Birthday Gift    -    September 8, 2017      

If you have just a basic knowledge of sewing, it is easy to make a birthday gift for someone special in a short period of time.  There are lots of quick gifts you can make, but for the birthday gift I needed this weekend, I chose the Twisted Infinity Scarf.   The recipient of my gift is one of those ladies who always looks “very well put together”.    I was surprised when I learned which birthday this is for her.  I would never have guessed the number.  Happy 80th birthday, Norita!

I started by making a fabric gift bag.  I used an orange floral print cotton left over from another project.  I used the directions given in my blog, How to Make Fabric Gift Bags, from April 10, 2017.

Then I looked through my fabric stash for an appropriate fabric to make a scarf.  I found a red and royal blue silky print fabric that will work great for a scarf.  It was 60 inches wide and 39 inches long.  I knew that would be long enough for the scarf but it was too wide, so I cut the fabric into two pieces 30 inches wide.  

I serged the raw edge of the long side of the fabric to create a clean finish.  After serging, I folded the right sides together lengthwise and sewed the long side together leaving a three inch opening in the middle of the seam.  With the fabric tube flat with the seam on one side, I marked the opposite side with a pin at one end.  Then I place that end inside the other end with right sides together and lined up the pin with the seam.  That created a twist in the scarf.  I sewed around the ends of the tube.  I actually serged around the seam but you could sew or serge it.  Then I turned the scarf right side out through the opening I left in the long seam.  I sewed the opening closed by hand.



This may be hard to visualize, but it is easy to do.  You can search on the internet for how to sew a twisted infinity scarf and find videos that will demonstrate the procedure.  If you like a long scarf, you should start with 2 yards of fabric and then cut that in half lengthwise.  That will give you two pieces 30 inches wide.  You will get 2 scarves from 2 yards of fabric.  I used just a little more than 1 yard of fabric because I do not like a long scarf.  I prefer the shorter length.  If your fabric is 59 – 60 inches wide, you can still get 2 scarves from 36 - 39 inches of fabric. 

Be creative!  Use your sewing skills to create a thoughtful handmade gift.

Judy


No comments:

Post a Comment