Wednesday, July 22, 2020


Finally!  A Real Fabric Shopping Trip!

For the last 4 or more months, my husband and I have stayed at home most of the time.  Of course, we have made the usual trips to medical appointments that people of our age make and have picked up groceries after ordering them online.  All of this has been done to try to stay safe during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Today we decide to take a drive to break the monotony.  I suggested we drive to Richland, home of Fabrications.  I knew Fabrications had a 25% Off Sale starting today through August 22.  We wanted to enjoy our drive, so we avoided the expressway.  We took Divine Highway to M66 to Lacy Road west to Cobb Road and then M89 to Gull Road.  It was a beautiful drive with very little traffic. 

Late last year, Fabrications moved the fabric store from 32nd Street to 8709 Gull Road, Suite B.  They moved the yarn to 8719 Gull Rd.  I had not been able to visit their new locations until today.  I made a quick stop at “The Yarn Cottage”, where the yarn is sold and said hello to Dick.  Then I went around the corner to Fabrications’ “Fabric Warehouse”.  It is located directly in back of the State Farm office.  It is small, but is filled with lots of wonderful fabrics and sewing supplies, including thread, buttons, books, and notions.  Janet uses all her floor space very efficiently.  She even has a separate area for teaching classes. 

Janet was teaching a one-on-one class when we arrived.  We were greeted by her daughter who made my husband and I both feel welcome.  We were the only ones in the store except for Janet, her daughter, and one student in another room.  Dave returned to the car to read while I browsed the shop.  It felt so good to be able to touch all the fashion fabrics and envision what I could make from them.  That is why I don’t like to buy fabric online.  I need to touch it to know whether I like it or not.  I know I should be able to determine that by the name of the fabric, but I am not there yet.  I still need to touch it! 

After Janet’s class was over, she helped me find some fabric to make some fall/winter slacks.  I also purchased shirting to make two shirts for Dave and one for me.   When I noticed the Palmer Pletsch book, Complete Guide to Fitting, I knew I had to have it.  Even though I already have several books on fitting, I seem to have an obsession with buying more.  I think I am looking for something that will magically make patterns fit me.  I know getting a good fit is possible, but it requires hard work to get it done regardless of the method you use.  I am just making sure I have the resources on hand to try whatever method I choose at the moment.



When I finished shopping, Dave was patiently waiting in the car me.  We chose a different path to go home, but it was still back roads with no expressways.  We had another beautiful drive!

If you are bored with staying home, you might choose to go for a drive and include a trip to Fabrications.  It is well worth the drive.  And if you go before August 22, you will get 25% off almost anything you purchase.  If you knit, remember to stop and see Dick at the Yarn Cottage.  Merchandise in the Yarn Cottage is included in the 25% off sale.  Masks are required.

Have fun and stay safe.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment