Sunday, November 22, 2020

 Focus Beyond 2020

I know 2020 has been a strange, unusual and not so productive year for most of us.  I personally experienced a lot of ups and downs.   I tried to stay optimistic most of the time, but I did get discouraged at times.  I had some health issues and those close to me had some as well.  My daughter experienced a very serious health issue with Covid-19 and is still trying to recover.  She is much better and for that we are truly grateful!  Now that a vaccine is on the horizon, I am going to try to move forward and concentrate on getting back to normal sometime in the next few months.  I am going to focus on sewing to divert my attention from the fact that we must stay at home to try to avoid getting the corona virus.

Fortunately, I am a member of the Lansing Chapter of the American Sewing Guild (the guild).  This organization is focusing on providing information and service to our members even in this pandemic.  The guild recently began to hold its monthly meetings via Zoom.  It also holds some of its Neighborhood Group meetings the same way.  Although this is not an ideal way to have meetings, it does provide our members an opportunity to exchange ideas and to plan and prepare for the future.  This will have to suffice until this virus is controlled and we can again hold live meetings!

At the last meeting of the Chapter Advisory Board for the guild, I volunteered to give the presentation for the March meeting on how to fit a bodice pattern.  Now I really need to focus on preparing to give that presentation.  I have plenty of time, but I also need to research all my options for giving the presentation via Zoom.  Not only will I be preparing instructions for fitting a bodice, I will also be exploring the options available on Zoom.

 In the meantime, I needed a sewing project I could do now.  Just as I was contemplating what that would be, I was emailed the latest edition of the Lansing Clippers, the newsletter for the guild.  The Serger Neighborhood Group that is a part of the guild has been working on small projects with directions from the group leader, Carrie K.   In the Lansing Clippers Carrie provided instructions for making a flannel quilt-as-you-go baby quilt.  It could be sewn on either a serger or a sewing machine.  I decided to put mine together using a serger and then I added stippling stitches to it with my sewing machine.  Pictures of the quilt in progress are shown below.







The guild is currently sewing items to donate to the Infant to Toddler Program at the Pilgrim Congregational Church in Lansing.
  This organization provides clothing and other items for children in need.  We provided 202 items for them in 2020 and we will continue to donate items to them in 2021 as part of our Community Service Program.  This is where the quilt I just finished will go. 

Now I am going to plan my next sewing project.  I am going to concentrate on another great year of sewing and not worry about anything in the past that I cannot control.

 I hope you have plans for some fun sewing projects!

Judy

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment