Sunday, June 6, 2021

 

Something from Almost Nothing

Last week I realized I needed something to wear to my grandson’s high school graduation.  I looked through my stash and found two pieces of coordinated rayon blend fabric.  One was a black background with a subtle lighter black print and the other was the same black with an aqua print.   I cut out and sewed a blouse.  It was finished Wednesday.  I started to cut the skirt on Thursday morning, but I had second thoughts.  I knew the graduation ceremony was being held outdoors in Indiana and the temperature was forecast at 93 degrees.  Maybe a black rayon outfit was not a good idea! 

I knew I had a scrap of fabric left from making a skirt about 6 or 7 years ago.  I took a look at the skirt to make sure it was still wearable and it was.  Then I looked in my stash for a light blue knit for a top.  I found just enough blue knit left over from a long sleeve tee-top I made a couple of years ago.  I decided to make an applique for the knit top from the scrap fabric from the skirt.  I love it when I can make something new to wear without making a trip to the fabric store.  A picture of the skirt and top is shown below. 

The graduation was very pleasant.  Although it was about 92 degrees Saturday, the football stands where we sat were shaded and there was a light breeze.  Most of the class of 2021 from Oak Hill High School near Sweetser, Indiana started school together thirteen years ago.  They lost a classmate in the fourth grade who died from cancer.  She was diagnosed when she was only four years old and always carried a stuffed monkey with her wherever she went.  The Class of 2021 had an extra chair in their midst in memory of her and they placed a stuffed monkey on it.  They never forgot her.

High School graduation is a really big deal.  It is the beginning of adult life for our children.  Their position in life changes.  It seems like overnight they are expected to go from being children to making life changing decisions that will affect them and others.  Their success in life depends on the foundation that was built for them by their parents, family, educators, religious leaders, and even themselves.  Now we can only hope the foundation is strong and each graduate will continue to build on theirs. 

Congratulations to all 2021 graduates!

Judy Huhn

No comments:

Post a Comment