Wednesday, December 1, 2021

 

Are You Inspired or Driven to Sew?

Usually, I sew garments or bags and then post an article on my blog about the item.  Lately, I have not sewn much of anything and, therefore, I haven’t posted on my blog.  It isn’t that I haven’t sewn at all.  I have, but it has been a hodgepodge of items.  The mixture includes children’s tee shirts, potholders, dish towels, and hot pads.  I have also altered tee shirts and pants that no longer fit me.    All of this caused me to wonder if I am inspired or driven to sew.

One definition of inspire is “to stimulate or impel to some creative or effective effort”.  That said, I am often inspired by many sources.  I get ideas and inspiration from seeing what others sew.  That is why I love to belong to different sewing groups.  I also like to see what styles are current in ready-made fashion.  Inspiration is there for the taking.  And remember, what you sew may inspire others to sew. 

Perhaps you are inspired by the creative process.  I think most people I know who love to sew fall into this category.  Create can mean “to make or design something requiring art, skill, invention, etc.”.  I think we can agree that every time we sew something, we make something that requires skill.  Sewing can also require imagination and invention.  Sometimes we have to create a different way to get the end result we desire.    

 One definition for drive is “to work or try hard to reach a goal”.   It can also mean “the power or vigor to get things done”.   We need drive to finish those projects we start.  Sometimes the projects are difficult and time consuming.  Then we need the drive to push through and complete the job.  We also need drive for the mundane ones as well.  Those could include mending, altering, and making small gifts, i.e. potholders, dish towels, etc. 

We may be inspired to make clothes for ourselves, but maybe the standard patterns don’t fit our bodies.  In that case, we definitely need the drive to develop fitting skills in order to reach our inspired goal of sewing clothes. 

In answer to my question, I think we are both inspired and driven to sew.  The really good thing about sewing is the more you sew, the more skilled you become.  And the more skilled you become, the more inspired and driven you are!  I don’t know about you, but I intend to keep sewing and I know the inspiration and drive will be there for me.

Below is a picture of some of the simple, easy items in my hodgepodge of sewing.



Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment