Friday, February 25, 2022

 

Resources to Help with Your Sewing Projects

Sometimes I find help with a sewing project when I am not even looking for it.  I have been talking with my husband about making him a spring jacket and a winter jacket.   Off the rack jackets don’t fit him well.   Any purchased jacket pulls up at the back edge and looks askew on him.  I assume it is also uncomfortable.  I have been thinking about doing a rounded back adjustment on a pattern for him. 

And then I received my Threads Magazine Spring 2022 Number 217 in the mail.  On page 43 there is an article titled “Fit for Your Posture” by Sarah Veblen.  In that article she covers three common pattern adjustments needed due to our posture: Pronounced Lower Back Curve, Rounded Upper Back and Forward Shoulders.  I think her instructions for making adjustments for a rounded upper back will work for making a jacket for my husband.  I am going to put adjusting a pattern for him on my “Sewing to Do” list for March. 

Also in the same Threads Magazine is an article titled “How to Alter Men’s Shirts, Part 2” by Vanessa Nirode.  She explains how to fix sleeve, shoulder and collar fit issues.  My husband has a shirt with sleeves that are too long for him.  The instructions given in Ms. Nirode’s article are clear and seem to be simple to follow.  With this article in front of me, I think I have the confidence I need to tackle the project.  Shorten sleeves on shirt for Dave will also go on my March “Sewing to Do” list.

I recently posted an article on my blog about designing a wardrobe.  In the current issue of Threads, there is an article titled “Spring Preview, Wardrobe Inspiration from a Stylist Who Sews” by Emily Hallman.  This is an interesting read about the new spring styles the designers are showing in their new collections.  She also talks about the new hues that will be prevalent.  She talked about the bright colors like clementine and flamingo that were seen in many designers’ collections.  You might want to read her article to get some ideas for your spring wardrobe.

Today we have a wealth of information available to assist us in any sewing project we desire to tackle.  So set your sites on whatever you want to sew and then educate yourself on how best to proceed.  The information you need is at your fingertips.  Just check your resources.  The resources may be available books on sewing techniques or articles in sewing magazines.  They may also be articles or videos on the internet.  Do your research and then start sewing!

Good luck with whatever sewing project you choose.  Happy sewing!

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment