Sunday, May 20, 2018



The White Jacket     -      May 20, 2018          

I finished the white jacket this week.  I used Vogue pattern V9176.   This is one of the Vogue patterns I purchased on sale for $4.99 instead of the regular price of $27.50.  At $4.99 this pattern was a real bargain.  It has a pattern for two jackets, one top, one dress, and two pants.  You could do a 12-piece wardrobe from this pattern and easily have 64 coordinated outfits!  Let me know if any of you try this. 

I made the shorter jacket (view A), but I substituted the back piece of the longer jacket (view B).   The back for view A had 6 regular pleats and one double pleat in the center.  That was just too much fabric flapping in the back for me!  I prefer the back with just the one double pleat in the center.  This is a loose fitting, unlined jacket with a collar, self-lined yoke, and long sleeves.  This should be a perfect light-weight summer jacket and will go with everything because it is white. 

I may add something to this jacket at a later date.  I think I might like a small embroidery in the middle of the back yoke and perhaps something that coordinates with the embroidery at the bottom of one sleeve.  

The front and back of the completed jacket are shown below.  The only hand sewing I did was on the yoke lining around the back of the armscyes and across the back at the bottom of the yoke lining as shown in the picture below. 




I told you in my post of May 4th I was helping a friend make a sweatshirt jacket.  She knows how to sew but doesn’t make clothes for herself.  Last week at our Wednesday sewing session at Stoney’s, we fitted the pattern to Pam.  She is using Vogue pattern V9244.  After we traced the pattern on Swedish pattern paper, we pinned it together and tried it on Pam.  At that point,  she asked if the back was longer than the front.  I told her it was and showed her the picture on the pattern envelope.  She did not like that design feature.  The pattern also flares out at the sides before the back begins to get longer.  She did not like that feature either.  Bev D. came to her rescue and showed her how to straighten out the flare at the sides and cut off the extra length in the back.  Then Pam was happy with the style.  Other than changing the design a little, the only alteration was to the hip area.  After that, the pattern was ready to be cut.

At the Wednesday, May 16th, sewing session Pam cut out the sweatshirt.  She is using a grey and navy one-directional print fleece for the body of the sweatshirt jacket and a navy fleece for the sleeves, hood, and pockets.  She now has the jacket cut out and ready to sew next Wednesday.  It will be fun to watch her put the jacket together.  It should go together quickly because she already knows how to sew.  It is just a matter of interpreting the pattern directions and following the steps – almost like putting a large puzzle together!  Once the jacket is sewn together, she will finish it by adding buttons and buttonholes.

Hopefully, I will have some pictures of Pam’s progress next week.

Judy



No comments:

Post a Comment