Sunday, May 27, 2018



Use Fabric to Wrap Your Gifts

I recently wrapped a shower gift and a wedding gift.  I like to make fabric gift bags, so I made one for the wedding gift.  However, the shower gift did not lend itself to going into a gift bag because of the size.  It was 1 ¾ inches x 13 ½ inches x 13 ½ inches.  I decided to cut a piece of red lining fabric and used that just as if it were paper wrap.  I used two-sided fabric tape instead of cellophane tape and I used a 5/8-inch piece of white lace instead of ribbon.  After the package was wrapped, I made a flower from a piece of 3-inch white lace and sewed it to the lace that was used in place of ribbon.

If you need instructions for making a gift bag, you can find those in my post of April 10, 2017 (How to Make Fabric Gift Bags).

Pictures of both gifts are shown below.









Most of us who sew have a “stash” of fabric that could be used to make gift bags or to use as gift wrapping.  We also usually have some extra ribbons and lace.  If you are one of those people who buy only enough fabric and supplies for your current project, you won’t have stash.  A good time to buy gift wrapping fabric and supplies is when they are on sale or clearance.  Build yourself a small stash so it will be available when you need to wrap a package. 

This past week I worked on a blue jacket for my 12-piece wardrobe.  I have to tell you that jacket was a failure!  The pieces are in the trash.  After cutting it out, I soon decided it was not worth the effort to make due to a poor choice of fabric.  I loved the pale blue color, but the gauze fabric was horrendous to try to sew.   All the pieces were much bigger than the pattern pieces I used to cut them.  I tried trimming the pieces, but that did not work.  I knew when I had trouble sewing the back yoke to the back, this project was not going to be completed.  I usually try to rescue my mistakes, but I felt this project was not worth the effort.

I am going to search my stash to see if I can find another fabric and, if I can’t, I will shop for another piece.  In the interim I am going to work on a skirt from Vogue pattern V7937, view D.




 I will let you know how the skirt turns out.

Judy


No comments:

Post a Comment